Resources for Moving Abroad
Expat Life Inspiration
Parenthood Around the World – Amazing series of stories from parents comparing experiences raising kids in different cultures
The Chateau Diaries – Wonderful YouTube series about the realities of chateau life.
Workaway – Work as a volunteer in a chateau, vineyard, farm, and many more – room and board paid. Fantastic program!
Videographer & interviewer Kirsten Dirksen travels to investigate alternative housing styles across the world. So many good videos – abandoned Italian villages transformed, eco-living, tiny houses, fascinating renovations!
Resources by Country
- Guide for home and property buying in Spain here (via Expatica)
- A somewhat colorful guide to buying rural property in Spain by a British person here (via Spanish Property Insight)
- Guide for visas and permits for living in Spain here (via Expatica)
- Become an English language assistant in a Spanish school through a program called Auxiliares de Conversación. Work part-time and get paid a small monthly stipend.
- Help with childcare, farming, renovation projects, etc, in exchange for room & board in Spain via Workaway.info!
- Guide for home and property buying in France here (via Expatica)
- Quick guide for Americans buying property in France here (via FrenchEstateAgents)
- Moving to France guide here (via Expatica)
- The Ultimate Checklist for Moving to France here (via Expatica)
- How to move to France by Transferwise
- Become an English language assistant in a French school through a government program called TAPIF (Teaching Assistant Program in France). Similar to program in Spain, you work 12 hours a week teaching English in schools as a language assistant and you are paid a small monthly stipend.
- Become a volunteer at a chateau! Check out the opportunities on Workaway!
- Starting a business in France – what is a fond de commerce? More info here! (via Start Business in France)
- Learn more about taking over a small business in France here (via Just Landed)
- Learn more about French property taxes here (via French Property)
- Guide for home and property buying in Italy here (via Global Property Guide)
- Can non-Italians get mortgages for Italian properties? Yes! More details here (via Studio Legalemetta)
- Buy an Italian village home for 1 Euro guide is here (via CNN)
- Italian towns in Molise will pay you $27,000 to move there here (via CNN)
- American who moved to Italy and bought a cheap/cute village house, has been living rent/mortgage free for several years with young family. Video here! Lots of other videos about the €1 house buying process!
Sweden & Norway
- How to buy the Swedish summer house of your dreams here (via The Local)
- Learn more about the Swedish tradition of owning a summer house here (via Sweden.se)
- How to move to Sweden and become a Swedish citizen here (via Business Insider)
- How to buy property in Sweden here (via Global Property Guide). There are no restrictions on foreigners buying property in Sweden. Learn more!
- House Hunting in Norway, via the NY Times here. There are no restrictions of foreigners buying property in Norway.
- A realtor walks you through buying Norwegian property 101 here (via Life in Norway).
- Norway buying guide here (via Global Property Guide)
(England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales)
- Guide for home and property buying in Scotland here (via moneyadviceservice.org.uk)
- Guide for home and property buying in England and Wales here (via your-move.co.uk)
- Step by step guide for how to move to Ireland here (via Transfer Wise)
- Guide for home and property buying in Ireland here (via Global Property Guide)
- Guide to UK visas for Americans here (via Visa Logic)
Send me a message!